A tall and powerful stature dog, Majestic Tree Hound, was developed from a cross between Bloodhound and the Black Coonhound. Commonly known as Majestic TreeHound, It is believed that this breed originated in the 20th Century.
A quick glance at various characteristics of Majestic Grey Hound
|Temperament||Affectionate, Independent, Loyal, Cheerful, Intelligent, Social|
|Age||The average age would vary from 10-13 years|
|Weight||Average Weight would be 91.5 Pounds (41.5 kg)|
|Origin||Country of origin is the USA|
|Life Span||Average life span varies from 10-13 years|
|Color||These giant dogs are available in various colors: Black, Blue, Gray, White, Tan, Brown, Red|
|Height||Average Height would be 27 Inches (68.5 cm)|
|Breed Type||Cross Breed|
|Coat||Short, Dense, Very Thick|
|Other Names||Majestic Hound, Bloodhound-Coonhound Mix|
|Breed Group||Hound Dog|
|Competitive Registration||NKC, DRA|
|Intelligent Rank||Majestic Tree Hounds have great intelligence. They understand and memorize new commands in 15-25 repetitions.|
If anyone chooses to purchase this breed of dog, the average price for these dogs will vary anywhere between USD 600-800.
- Majestic Hound has an amazing temperament. They can be affectionate, independent, loyal, cheerful, intelligent, and social.
- They have a great smelling sense and can find any suspicious thing or animal easily. They are amazing at their hunting and tracking skills.
- These dogs do really well when they get appreciation and can get along well with kids, pets, and strangers.
- An excellent companion for kids, but interactions require supervision as they can be playful and energetic at times.
- As these dogs need a lot of space to play and run, they are not suitable for apartment dwellers.
These dogs are energetic and lively. They require a minimum of 40-60 minutes of regular training. These dogs like to stay outside and can walk miles with their companions. The activities for these dogs could include various activities like walking, jogging, and running.
These dogs do not require a lot of grooming. Eyes and ears for these dogs should be cleaned regularly to avoid any kind of infection. Seasonal flea treatment is needed, but professional grooming is not required. Therefore, these dogs are not expensive to maintain when it comes to grooming.
Dogs can be free from dirt and dead hair if the coat is brushed twice a week. Occasional baths are required and keep the dogs clean and odor-free. Dental hygiene includes brushing teeth twice a week that prevents tartar buildup. Nail clipping is needed when they overgrow.
These are more prone to health issues than other breeds and require frequent visits to vet checkups. They have a low chance of bad smell. The primary concern could include: Hip Dysplasia, Cataracts, Epilepsy and Entropion. Minor Concerns could consist of: Hypothyroidism and skin infections.
If a person wants to keep the dog healthy, frequent visits to veterans would be required and might include X-rays, eye checkups, Blood Tests, etc.
The dog is an intelligent breed and can learn the tricks very quickly. With praises, rewards, and treats, these dogs learn skills quickly. Right collar and rope are essential when giving leash training.
One has to be careful while feeding them as these dogs tend to get fat. They require high nutritious food, which could be commercial as well as handmade. To keep up the dogs’ energy levels, at least 4-5 cups of dry dog food would be required divided into two meals.
Weather & Climate
These dogs prefer average to warm weather conditions. These dogs do not adjust well in cold climates.
Drooling refers to the unintentional saliva flowing outside of the mouth. Majestic Tree Hound is average droolers.
Shedding is a natural process of the hair growth cycle. These shed moderately. Regular brushing reduces the amount of hair that sheds.
Barking/Biting Potential/ Mouthiness
Top reasons why dogs bark includes: protection, alarm, fear, boredom, attention-seeking, greeting, separation, anxiety, compulsive barking. The barking level could be average to high. It is a vocal breed. They often yell loudly and howl at times. They change their barks depending on their emotional levels and what they are trying to say. They might not be suitable for people who are looking for a quieter breed.
Top reasons for dog bite are protection, pain, excitement, herding instinct, being provoked. They have a low chance of biting somebody and have an average tendency to chip, nip, play-bite, or herd people. The bites do not hurt, but these dogs need to be taught the right attitude.
It is a playful breed. They often bark and sometimes nip to alert people to play. They form a good companion with children and any person that awards them.
The average gestation length of the dog is 60-64 days.
Reproductive cycle of the females is as follows:
- The first period is called Proestrus, which lasts for about nine days. During this time, the females start attracting males. This can be noticed by swelling vulva and bloody discharge.
- The second part is the Estrus when the bitch is receptive to the male. It lasts for about 3 to 11 days. The sign of the proestrus part is the soft and enlarged vulva. The discharge decreases and lightens in color.
- The third part is the Diestrus; Normally, it occurs around day 14. In this period, the bitch’s discharge changes for vivid red and comes to its end. The vulva returns to average, and she will no longer permit mating.
- The fourth part is called Anestrus. The time frame between heat periods usually lasts about six months.
They often have a litter once a year. More frequent breeding is not healthy and advisable, and they can have anywhere between 2-6 puppies.